COVID-19 Update: August 2020
- PPE UPDATE
- YOUR SIDE SERVICE CHANGES
- YOU NEED TO TELL US IF….
- WE ARE STILL OPEN
- WHAT YOU CAN DO TO SLOW THE SPREAD OF INFECTION
Many of you are already used to services where our support staff are wearing PPE including face masks.
As announced on 29 July it became compulsory for all aged care workers who live or work in Sydney hotspots, by order of NSW Health, to wear a mask when delivering a service to older people.
Your Side has decided to implement this across our whole workforce in Greater Sydney. This covers our services for older people, and also our services for people with disabilities.
So anyone who comes to your home or meets you in person to deliver a service will wear a surgical mask.
We are doing this with your safety as our first priority.
Wearing a mask has been shown to reduce the risk of transmission of COVID-19, but remember no PPE is perfect so please still keep 1.5 metres apart where you can, and keep washing those hands.
This is not a change for most services who were already wearing PPE, especially with people over 65, but this is now a blanket rule.
WHAT TO EXPECT:
- All workers will wear a mask in your home or where distance can’t be kept.
- All workers will wash their hands or sanitise before and after they see you.
- All workers will stay away if they have any symptoms like runny nose or sore throat. We will arrange for someone else to come and see you but bear with us if this takes a little time.
- All workers will stay away if they have a fever over 37.5 degrees.
- All workers will stay away if they have been in any hotspots identified by the NSW Government, or in Victoria in the last 14 days.
- All workers will ask you how you are at the start of every visit. If you have any symptoms, a fever, or have been in a hotspot you must tell us. We will help support you to get tested to keep everyone safe, and help plan for how to manage if you need to isolate.
Q: Will a mask stop me catching COVID?
A: No mask can 100% guarantee this. However, the latest health advice is that a face mask with multiple layers worn correctly may significantly reduce the risk of a worker who doesn’t know they are infected transmitting the virus to you.
Q: Do I need to wear a mask?
A: No, it is not compulsory for you to wear a mask, especially not in your own home. However, wearing one would reduce the risk of you passing the infection to our worker even if you don’t know you’ve been infected. Please consider it. The Premier of NSW is strongly recommending people wear masks when out especially on public transport, or at the shops – wherever distancing can’t be kept.
Q: My worker wasn’t wearing a mask (after Monday 3rd August). Who should I tell?
A: Please ring Your Side on 1300 134 332. We want to make sure everyone knows this new rule and keeps each other safe.
Q: Does the mask mean my worker is sick?
A: No. All workers must stay away and get tested if they think they could be ill.
Q: I rely on lip reading. I can’t communicate properly if someone is wearing a mask.
A: Please call our team on 1300 134 332 and we will work out a way to make sure your needs are met.
YOUR SIDE SERVICE CHANGES
We know pandemic life has been challenging. We also want you to know that we are committed to staying open and will continue to deliver essential home based supports like cleaning and personal care. Our staff have training and the right PPE to operate safely.
We have moved some services online or to the phone, like counselling and our social support groups.
You can read a full list of any changes below.
Outbreaks can happen very quickly and we are monitoring the current situation in Western Sydney. For this reason, we are not planning to start our group social outings again until there is a consistent downward trend in new infections. It’s not worth the risk to some of our more vulnerable clients – and your safety is our number one priority.
The team have developed an excellent selection of social activities that take place online – have a look at the calendars for August below. You can come along to any or all of these, and we can help guide you around how to use Zoom if need be.
To access information and resources about COVID-19 in other languages including fact sheets, guidelines and other publications please CLICK HERE.
Maybe you could access:
- Postcard Pen Pals
- Phone calls for social support
- Online group chats or activities
- One to one activities at home
- Essential grocery and medication deliveries
Please call the Your Side team on 1300 134 332 to discuss options for you, or have a look at our UPCOMING ONLINE EVENTS here:
Our team are always at the end of the phone on 1300 134 332. Please do ring us to talk through options for your support – it is completely normal to feel anxious or lonely, and we can be flexible and help you tailor your services to respond to the changing world we are living in.
YOU NEED TO TELL US IF:
- You have travelled overseas in the past 14 days;
- You have been in close contact with someone who has been diagnosed with coronavirus;
- You have been to Victoria in the last two weeks;
- You have been near any identified infection sources or hotspots in NSW; or
- You have symptoms like a dry, scratchy cough, fever, or cold.
We can make sure you get access to testing and any support you need to self-isolate safely.
WE ARE STILL OPEN
Your Side is continuing to deliver support to all our clients. Some services have moved online or changed to accommodate social distancing. We are happy to talk through any practical changes to keep you safe. All staff have access to infection control training and PPE. We want to make sure essential services can be delivered.
Services operating in person or as normal, with precautions.
- Household Tasks, Cleaning & Laundry
- Meal Preparation
- Gardening & Handyman
- Home Maintenance & Repairs
- Pest Control
- Pet Care & Walking
- Pool Maintenance
- Personal Care
- Home Nursing & Continence Products
- Podiatry, Occupational Therapy & Physiotherapy
- Medical & Mobility equipment
- Social Support – one to one only (no groups)
- Personal Carers to enable community participation
- Assistive Technology (safety restraints, personal alarms, seizure monitors, speech devices, wearable tech, sensory equipment)
SERVICES DELIVERED ONLINE
- Counselling & Psychology
- Carer Peer Support
- Social Programs & Activities
Have a look at our UPCOMING ONLINE EVENTS here:
ON HOLD TILL COVID-19 RESTRICTIONS EASE
- Group Transportation
- Social Support outings
WHAT YOU CAN DO TO SLOW THE SPREAD OF INFECTION
- Stay informed by following advice from the Australian Department of Health. Advice may change daily so go straight to the main source, don’t rely on social media.
- Prevent the spread by basic standard hygiene (hand washing with warm water and soap for 20 secs, cough etiquette, social distancing).
- If you suspect you have been in contact with someone diagnosed with COVID-19, contact the 24 Hour Government Helpline for advice on 1800 020 080, and let Your Side know by calling 1300 134 332.
- If you have symptoms, call your GP before attending, and practice self-isolation. If you are a client of Your Side let us know too.
- The latest advice from the Department of Health can be found HERE, including more on the above and advice in different languages regularly updated.
Ph: 1300 134 332