Your Guide to CHSP Services – Supporting You to Live at Home

6 July 2017 - 5 minutes read

What is the CHSP?
The CHSP program, funded by the Australian Government, provides ongoing or short-term entry-level support services for older people who need assistance to keep living independently at home.  The focus of the services is on building your strengths and abilities – working with you, rather than doing for you.
The program is for people aged 65 years and over (50 years and over for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people), and includes support services for prematurely aged people on a low income who are 50 years or over (45 years or over for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people), and are homeless or at risk of homelessness.

Examples of Services Available

  • transport to appointments and activities
  • domestic help (e.g. house cleaning, washing clothes)
  • personal care (e.g. help with showering or dressing)
  • home maintenance (e.g. changing light bulbs, gardening)
  • home modifications (e.g. getting a grab rail installed)
  • aids and equipment (e.g. bath seat, raised toilet seat, mobility aids)
  • meals, food preparation, nutrition advice, cooking skills
  • nursing (e.g. managing medication)
  • allied health (e.g. podiatry, physiotherapy, occupational therapy)
  • social support (e.g. accompanied activities, group excursions)
  • respite (care for you while your carer takes a break)

How do I Access CHSP Services?

Call My Aged Care
You can phone the My Aged Care contact centre on: 1800 200 422 or online:

  • If you speak a language other than English, you can phone the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National) on 131 450 and ask to be connected to My Aged Care.
  • If you have a hearing or speech impairment, you can phone the National Relay Service on 1800 555 677 and ask to be connected to My Aged Care.

Have a Home Support Assessment
If the My Aged Care contact centre refers you for a Home Support Assessment, a Regional Assessment Service (RAS) assessor will contact you to arrange a face-to-face assessment in your home. During your assessment, the assessor will ask you about your day-to-day activities, your needs and your preferences. You may wish to have a support person present at the assessment.

Agree on a Home Support Plan
The RAS assessor will work with you to develop a personalised Home Support Plan to meet your needs.

Select Service Provider
Your RAS assessor can arrange to have a ‘referral for service’ sent to the relevant provider(s) in your local area. A referral notifies providers there is a new client wanting a service, and prompts them to contact you to make arrangements.

Work Out Your Fees
Each service provider is required to have their own Client Contribution Policy (you can ask to receive a copy) and will use it to determine your fees. Any fees you are asked to pay will be agreed between you and the service provider before you start receiving services.

Manage your Services
Service providers should review your services every 12 months to make sure they continue to meet your needs.  If your needs change before the annual review, discuss this with your service provider or call My Aged Care directly.
To make sure you receive quality care, the Charter of Care Recipients’ Rights and Responsibilities for Home Care (you can ask for a copy), sets out principles for how you and your service provider should work together.

Raising Concerns
If you have a problem with a service, talk with your service provider first.  Your service provider should tell you about their internal Complaints Handling process and how to make a complaint. If this process is not successful, you can make a complaint to the Aged Care Complaints Commissioner on 1800 550 552 or
If you want help to raise your concern, you can have an advocate work with you to resolve the matter by contacting The National Aged Care Advocacy Line on 1800 700 600.

For a copy of the booklet, visit:

Rosanna Commisso
Home Support & Partnership Coordinator